Wednesday 15 September 2010

La Becasse, Ludlow.


First Impressions.
La Becasse is a fine dining restaurant situated in Corve Street, a short distance from the town centre of Ludlow. This period property has a number of small cozy dining area’s, typical of this traditional period property. The dark oak wood panel walls and tasteful décor make the restaurant intimate but comfortable.  On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant  maitre d and shown to our table. He was pleasant informative and made us feel at home.  
Service With A Smile
The service here was very good. We had two servers throughout the meal and they were very professional.  The maitre d who took us to our table on arrival was very polite and informative, he made us feel welcome and relaxed as soon as we arrived. If I was to find fault, and this was only a minor error, it was with one of our servers.  I would say she was very quick and brief with some descriptions of our food as she was paying particular attention to another table and conversing in her native language of French, to the diner and often took her eye of the ball with other tables in the room including my table. Perhaps her youth and inexperience was a contributing factor and it let her down.
The Food
I decided to try the lunch time taster menu as the variety of dishes suited my taste as did my wife. We started with a Tomatoe & Melon Salad with cucumber foam. This was a well balanced dish with light and flavorsome. This was followed by a Beef Carpaccio with egg yolk, parsley, gherkin and sour dough croutons. A tasty follow-up to the first course with some tangy dressings. The Sea Bream that followed was cooked to perfection and the balanced dressing gave the fish a fresh and flavorsome taste.  This was then followed by Chicken Ballotine, my favorite. This was delicious and the jersey royals were full of flavor.  Blood Orange jelly and olive cake was zesty and nice coke granite added to the flavors. Finally the Chocolate Tarte with caramel and banana, goat’s cheese ice cream and peanut brittle was delicious and I wanted more.
The Verdict
This fine dining restaurant certainly sets the standards that others should follow. The quality of the service was very good and the food was outstanding. The dishes that I was served were creative and presented to the highest standard. A credit to the Michelin standard of restaurants. I would be struggling to find fault with the whole dining experience.  During my lunchtime visit the restaurant was reasonably busy and this boded well for a vibrant atmosphere. I am certainly looking forward to my next visit. 
The Bill  
Food £39 per person
Food  10/10
Atmosphere 9/10
Service 9/10
Would I recommend la Becasse, YES.  Would I go there again, YES and very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment