Wednesday 15 September 2010

Y Polin, Nantgaredig, Carmarthen.

When I dined at Y Polin the arrival and welcome was warm & friendly and we were shown to our table promptly.  After ordering our food & wine we had a 45 minute wait for the starter to reach the table. When the wine arrived it was dumped on the table and the waitress left without asking us if we wanted to taste the wine.  The starters, Scallops & Pate were well presented however, the pate had been taken straight from the fridge and was too firm to spread with the toast. The main courses, Belly Pork & Lamb Hot Pot arrived 35 minutes after our starters left the table. The lamb was very good tasty & well presented however, the pork was burned and the strong smell of charcoal was overpowering which was very disappointing. The deserts, panacotta with plumbs & Crème Brule were very good and they arrived a little quicker than the rest of the food. I was very disappointed by the whole dining experience as it was a birthday surprise and I was disappointed as it was just like an average pub grub experience. All the reports I have read have been excellent and after watching the television series about the owners and their approach to good local food I would say that their standards have certainly gone down hill. I dine out on a regular basis and don't mind paying for quality. The total cost for two people including a bottle of wine was £95 and when the bill was initially presented we had been overcharged. I have to say this was rectified quickly. Compared to many restaurants that I have dined in this one would not get my vote and I would not return there again.
Cost £95.  3 courses for 2 & 1 bottle of wine.
Food 6/10
Atmosphere 8/10
Service 2/10
Go again – Never

No comments:

Post a Comment